OT: Reflection on Beauty

Laureen S.
on 4/10/12 10:29 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?
--The Wicked Queen

"Ugly, ugly!" This is often what we think as we look in the mirror. There are days when we feel ugly no matter how we comb our hair or wear our clothes. There are days when we feel like mistakes dressing up as people.

Criticizing ourselves on the outside is usually caused by the way we feel inside. When we measure ourselves by our physical appearance, we will always feel let down. No one can always be the fairest of them all.

Slowly we are beginning to understand how our real glow comes from the inside. We are meeting people in recovery who aren't beauty contest winners on the outside but who shine because of their personalities and their positive energy.

Today let me accept myself as a lovely person, inside and out.

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

bvohl
on 4/10/12 10:50 pm
Laureen,

Thanks for posting this! I am definitely critical of myself and my appearance. Weight has ALWAYS been my main issue. Many years of teasing and bullying because of it still affects me to this day. I know I am a beautiful person on the inside and that is what counts! I am a good wife, mother and friend. In the end that is what matters most!!

Yes, you are a lovely person inside and out!!!

Love, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Lslaven
on 4/11/12 5:25 am - Philadelphia, PA
I have spent the last several years working on my negative self talk.  I can find fault with myself at any given moment. Compliments which I receive I always say something negative about myself in return rather than just saying thank you.  For instance, someone says "you look great," and I reply "not really, did you see my arms."  However, one thing I always knew was that I liked myself inside.  Even at 294 pounds, I liked the person I was.  I always try to be the right person and do the right things.  I can have fun and laugh with only water in my system.  I truly love life and try to live it to the fullest. 

I must concentrate more on the inside and hopefully the mirror will reflect the happiness I feel inside.  Mirror mirror on the wall, I am the fairest of them all to myself.....now if I could really just believe that.  One step at a time.  Great post Laureen....gives us all something to think about.

Linda
Arlene E.
on 4/11/12 6:06 am - Philadelphia, PA

Good post.   I really do try to be positive as much as possible. I have been told many many times that my smile lights up the room. When I hear that I never say "but".   I know when I smile and talk with others it is usually well received.  I do not like to feed into others negativity.  It becomes a contest of who has the most problems.  That is not saying that I won't listen or offer empathy. It is that I do not want to be consumed by negative energy. 

It has taken a lot of work to really like myself but there is no other way to truly be content. It starts from within.  

Laureen S.
on 4/11/12 9:32 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Yup, your smile does light up a room and I'm with you when it comes to looking for the positives in life, we all face tough situations from time to time, for some more than others, but as I told someone close to me today, I need to focus on all the things I have, rather than the things from the past, the situations and people I cannot control and look forward to the possibilities life offers, rather than feed into negativity, mine or others. . .  there is a certain amount of wisdom that comes with my grey hair ;) (lol)  Like you, I've come to like myself, as imperfekt as I am. . .

Hugs, L

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views